I love eating at Chipotle. I rarely go to a fast-food restaurant these days, so every trip is considered a special treat. When I go to Chipotle, it’s usually when I’ve run out of salad for lunch at work and I didn’t have time to go to the store the night before. I always get a buritto bowl with black beans, brown rice, a little bit of lettuce, cheese, and roasted chili-corn salsa. Love it! This week’s recipe reminds me a bit of this favorite fast-food indulgence.
Black Bean and Sweet Corn Quinoa Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (beef broth also provides an interesting flavor)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn
- 1 3/4 cup dry black beans
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- First, rinse and sort the dried beans, discarding any blemished ones or any grit. Let them soak for 12 hours in a bowl along with 6 cups water. Drain the beans.
- In a large saucepan, cover drained, soaked beans with 6 cups of fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, and topping up with water if necessary, for about 1 hour. Drain the beans.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When shimmering and hot, add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and stir for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the quinoa and cover with broth. Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until all the liquid is absorbed).
- Stir in the frozen corn and black beans. Cover and let the post sit off the heat until the corn and beans are heated through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Serve warn or chilled – it is delicious both ways!
I let the black beans sit in the quinoa mixture longer that 6 minutes, so the quinoa turned a gray color. It still tasted yummy! Just add some lettuce and cheese and I now have my own homemade burrito bowl.